First, thank you all for your overwhelming support thus far with the creative ideas you guys have posted, and also for the congratulations about my new job. I’m now the new Online Communications Officer for the Grameen Foundation. Now the fun really begins. I committed to raise $26,000 in 26 days, and I was hoping the deadline would be my birthday Feb. 21. However, for my job I will need to fly to Washington D.C. for 2 weeks for training & orientation beginning on Monday Feb. 8. I don’t get back till the 19th, and I’d like to have more time to prepare for my photo show.
On your mark, get set, GO!
I’ve decided to have my fundraiser party on Feb 28, and to make that the deadline for raising $26,000. It’s also 26 days away from TODAY :). I have launched my fundraising page through the Grameen Foundation’s Ingenuity Fund. If you want to share the link, it’s probably easiest to use this URL: http://tinyurl.com/26k-for-haiti. Please visit this page and if you feel compelled, donate today.
To show my commitment, I have personally donated $2,600 to the cause. This was not easy. Being unemployed the last 8 months has been difficult, and this is pretty much all of my remaining savings. But, I feel compelled to do this as I would not ask my friends and family to donate to something I don’t truly believe in. If we reach the goal of $26,000, it will be over 10 times as much as I raised last year! I’ve been tempted to get discouraged, but I keep getting inspired by people like Billy who raised $15,000 in 16 days!
For me to raise $26K in 26 days, here’s my initial plan:
- Use this blog/twitter/facebook to spread the word online
- Write handwritten letters to close friends/relatives
- Host multiple fundraiser dinners
- Host a sponsored karaoke night (you sponsor your friend to sing a song of your choice)
- Host a photography show event
- Finish a triathlon including a 26K run and 26 mile bike ride on Feb 27.
- Aim for these goals: $6K by 2/7, $12K by 2/14, $20K by 2/21 (my b-day), and $26K by 2/28!
Here’s how I need help:
- Donate on my fundraising page. Contact me if your company matches, and I’ll add it to the total!
- Spread the word via Facebook & Twitter. Share, Re-tweet and comment on my posts.
- Host/organize a baked goods dessert night (26 types of dessert)
- Organize a friendly eating competition - eat 26 types of sushi (Joe?)
- Donating professional services (i.e. a Valentine’s photo shoot, web design, etc)
- Donate lessons (dance, cooking, skiing/snowboarding)
- Volunteering to help with the events above (esp. the photo show!)
- Ask your friends if they’d be interested with helping with any of the above.
- Other ideas of your own design!
- Please fill out the form below if you’re interested in helping with any of the above.
I am still finalizing the details of the photo show, but I’m planning to have it on the evening of Sunday Feb. 28. I’m looking for a venue with a nice open space, a way to display photos (even if on easels) that serves food/drinks. I’d like to just allow people to come and buy food/drinks if they want. Maybe something with a private room or private area. 2 years ago it was at the Bal Mar in Ballard and that was pretty good, but I’m looking for any other suggestions/connections you might have.
There’s a lot of work to do starting today, but I’m glad I won’t be doing it alone! I’ll keep this blog updated as things progress.
photo credit to jon marshall.